Cancer Education Programme
• For the newly diagnosed/those receiving treatment for cancer. This service
has recently been developed into a 12 week education programme for the
newly diagnosed cancer patient, those receiving treatment for cancer and
the initial post-treatment period, the aim of which is to provide information
and promote wellbeing. NEW EXCLUSIVE SERVICE.
• Open between the hours of 10am and 3.30pm.
• Information, support and advice is offered with referral to other members
of the multi-disciplinary team as necessary.
• Close links with Primrose Unit Bedford Hospital, Sue Ryder Care St. John’s
Hospice, Macmillan Nurses, District Nurses, oncology dietician, speech and
language therapist, physiotherapist and Bedfordshire Partnership for
Excellence in Palliative Support (PEPS) team. This list is not exhaustive.
• Access to a Registered Nurse for support with pain and symptom control.
• Complementary therapy to reduce anxiety, relieve stress and promote
relaxation. Therapies include aromatherapy, massage, reiki, reflexology
and Indian head massage. GP consent is sought prior to delivery of
complementary therapy – before this only a hand massage is offered.
• Ways Ahead – a consultation and advice service offered to those
experiencing hair loss. Advice given on how to apply scarves and create
bespoke headwear for special occasions. Consultations occur in privacy and
accessories may be purchased directly from us.
• Counselling available in a private, confidential setting for patients,
and/ or their partners/family members.
• Lunch available between the hours of 12.30 to 1.30pm (£5 donation).